Mum Dies Two Years After Losing Her Three Children In Horrific House Fire

14/08/2014 16:47 | Updated 22 May 2015
Mum dies two years after losing her three children in horrific house fire

A mother has died more than two years after she lost her three children in a horrific house fire.

Samantha Hudson, 29, never recovered from the devastating injuries she suffered before she was rescued from her home in Bridlington, East Yorkshire.

William Beal, nine, Antony Fothergill, five, and three-year-old Maddie Hudson died in the blaze in November 2010 after they were overcome by smoke and fumes.

The children were all buried in their pyjamas as their mum fought for her life in hospital. Their mum only discovered they had died three months later.

Samantha's grieving boyfriend Andy Martin said she had paid the ultimate price for the blaze.

Despite surviving the blaze, Samantha was first in a coma and, when she regained consciousness, severe brain damage left her unable to walk or eat. Now her family has confirmed she died at the weekend.

Andy, 46 told the local paper: "I found out Sam had died after a family member texted me. I'm extremely upset, sad and shocked.

"If there's any comfort to come from this at least Sam is back with her children now.

"She's paid a heavy price for that one mistake. She's been in care ever since the fire as she was not able to look after herself.

"I lost Sam two years ago but it's final now. Her passing marks the end of what's been a very difficult time in our lives.

"It is very sad but I can put closure on the tragedy now."

Sam's mother confirmed her daughter died on Sunday evening in Hull Royal Infirmary from pneumonia.

"I just can't get my head round it at the moment," said Mrs Hudson.

Her daughter spent weeks in intensive care after the triple tragedy in November 2010 before she was moved to residential care.

She had suffered brain damage and could not speak and her family visited her regularly.

Her dad Robert Hudson, 53, had the heartbreaking task of telling his daughter the children had been killed in the fire at their home.

He had to ask her: "You do know the children have died, don't you, love? AJ, Maddie and Willy?"

Samantha nodded and started to cry.

A coroner's inquest in April 2011 found that a discarded cigarette was the probable cause of the fire.

The inquest heard how flames engulfed Sam's rented three-storey home after Sam fell asleep against an armchair.

She tried to save her children when she was alerted by the smoke alarm but it was too late and they were overcome with fumes and smoke.

Fire investigators concluded that a discarded cigarette smouldered before igniting what is thought to be the children's school uniforms, which had been left in the room under a bay window.

Coroner Mr Geoffrey Saul recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Suggest a correction