A mum of seven died from blood poisoning five weeks after being diagnosed with a minor skin infection.
Lisa Watling, 29, died of septicaemia leading to organ failure. She leaves her devastated husband Andy Greaves, 32, six sons and one daughter.
Lisa, from Hull, Yorkshire, had been prescribed antibiotics for cellulitis, but did not take the drugs properly and the infection took hold.
Her husband begged his wife to go to the hospital but she refused because she hated being away from her children for too long.
Eventually, she became so ill, she started became delirious and her mother called an ambulance.
She was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary, where she was put into an induced coma to prepare for her leg to be amputated.
But by then the poison had already spread too far and her vital organs began to fail.
Doctors were left with no choice but to take her off the dialysis machine which was keeping her alive and she passed away with her husband and her parents by her side.
Andy, who was married to Lisa for 11 years, said: "I was looking at her in that hospital bed, trying to take in every bit of her I could.
"When they told us she wasn't going to make it, she seemed to get a bit better, just enough for us to cling on to a little bit of hope and I could see us coming home together.
"Now, every time I close my eyes, I see her in the hospital bed. It didn't seem like her."
Her parents, Pauline and Albo Hilton spoke of their devastation.
Pauline, 49, said: "When they turned the machine off, I couldn't watch my firstborn die. Lisa was a fantastic person and mother.
"She loved having children, she was a natural at it. She was so proud of them all."
Lisa died on April 14, leaving Kieran, 11, Lewis, nine, Mason, six, Jaidon, five, Paisleigh, three and Ainsley, 14 months.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more