A pregnant woman has had her baby forcibly removed by Caesarean section.
Essex social services obtained a High Court order for the woman to be sedated and her baby daughter to be taken from her womb and taken into care.
The baby was then put up for adoption. All this was done on the grounds the mother had suffered a mental breakdown.
The woman is Italian and was in the UK on a work training course. She cannot be named for legal reasons. She came to Britain in July 2012 to attend a training course with an airline at Stansted Airport in Essex.
She suffered a panic attack, which her relations believe was due to her failure to take regular medication for an existing bipolar condition.
She called the police, who became concerned for her well-being and took her to a hospital, which she then realised was a psychiatric facility.
She has told her lawyers that when she said she wanted to return to her hotel, she was restrained and sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
Meanwhile, Essex social services obtained a High Court order in August 2012 for the birth "to be enforced by way of caesarean section".
The woman, who says she knew nothing of the proceedings, says that after five weeks in the ward she was forcibly sedated. When she woke up she was told that the child had been delivered by C-section and taken into care.
The baby girl, now 15 months old, is still in the care of social services, who are refusing to give her back to the mother, even though she claims to have made a full recovery.
The case has developed into an international legal row, with lawyers for the woman describing it as "unprecedented".
In February this year, the mother, who had gone back to Italy, returned to Britain to request the return of her daughter at a hearing at Chelmsford Crown Court.
Her lawyers say that she had since resumed taking her medication, and that the judge formed a favourable opinion of her. But he ruled that the child should be placed for adoption because of the risk that she might suffer a relapse.
Her lawyers claim that even if the council had been acting in the woman's best interests, officials should have consulted her family before the C-section and also involved Italian social services.
Brendan Fleming, the woman's British lawyer, told The Sunday Telegraph: "I have never heard of anything like this in all my 40 years in the job.
"I can understand if someone is very ill that they may not be able to consent to a medical procedure, but a forced caesarean is unprecedented.
"If there were concerns about the care of this child by an Italian mother, then the better plan would have been for the authorities here to have notified social services in Italy and for the child to have been taken back there."
The Sunday Telegraph reports that the case will be raised in Parliament this week by John Hemming, a Liberal Democrat MP. He chairs the Public Family Law Reform Coordinating Campaign, which wants reform and greater openness in court proceedings involving family matters.
He said: "I have seen a number of cases of abuses of people's rights in the family courts, but this has to be one of the more extreme.
"It involves the Court of Protection authorising a caesarean section without the person concerned being made aware of what was proposed. I worry about the way these decisions about a person's mental capacity are being taken without any apparent concern as to the effect on the individual being affected."
An Essex county council spokesman has said the local authority would not comment on ongoing cases involving vulnerable people and children.