Sticky sausages and smoky mash, by Jo Pratt
"This family favourite is perfect for dinner time," says Madhouse Cookbook author and mum-of-two Jo Pratt. "It's a classic, hearty dish packed full of flavour. It's real comfort food."
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 - 50 minutes
Serves: 4Cost: £3.96
20g Gold from Flora
8 good-quality, thick pork sausages
3 onions, peeled and sliced (350g)
a few sprigs of thyme, sage and/or rosemary
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard (optional)
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
For the mash:
900g - 1 kg mixed root vegetables (such as parsnip, swede, sweet potato, potatoes and carrots), peeled and cut into chunks
20g Gold from Flora
1/2 - 1 tsp smoked Paprika
125g fresh or frozen peas
125g green beans, halved
150g Tenderstem broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 knob of Gold from Flora
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
2. To cook the sausages and onions, heat a large roasting tray on the hob and add 15g of Gold from Flora. Once melted, add the sausages and lightly brown all over. Push to one side, melt the remaining Gold from Flora in the empty side of the baking tray and scatter in the onions and herbs. Toss to coat, then spread over the base of the whole tray and sit the sausages on top.
3. Season with pepper, then place in the oven for 35-45 minutes, turning the sausages occasionally and moving the onion around to prevent it from sticking. Once cooked the onions will be a lovely golden colour.
4. Meanwhile, put the root vegetables in a large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook the vegetables until they are tender (about 20 minutes) and then drain well. Return to the pan and allow the steam to evaporate for a minute before mashing with the Gold from Flora, ½ tsp smoked paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add more smoked paprika for a stronger flavour.
5. Once the sausages and onions are cooked, mix together the maple syrup, wholegrain mustard and orange juice. Pour over the sausages, shake to coat and return to the oven for five minutes until sticky.
6. Serve the sticky sausages with the golden onions and spoonfuls of the smoky mash. Yum.
Find more recipes hint and tips at www.goldfromflora.com.
More on Parentdish