Two-Year-Old Girl Suffers Horrific Burns From Abandoned Park Barbecue

14/08/2014 16:51 | Updated 22 May 2015

Two-year-old girl falls face first into barbecue in park

A toddler has suffered horrific burns after falling face-first into a barbecue.

Two-year-old Luii Duncan was playing in a park in Sutton, south London, when she stumbled onto the hot griddle.

Her mum and dad pulled the burning grill off her stomach, and an ambulance rushed the Luii to St Helier hospital in Sutton. She was later transferred to a specialist burns unit at Chelsea children's hospital where she was treated for serious injuries to her face, chest, arms and hands.

The Sun reports that the metal barbecue had been left 'smouldering' by its owners, despite them having been asked by other parents to put it out before they left the park.

Luii's mum Rosemary said she was 'haunted' by the image of the grill being stuck to her child's skin.

"I'm trying to block it out, but I want to warn people about the dangers of leaving hot barbecues in parks," she said.

"It's horrifying to see a man holding up your child and seeing her with a barbecue stuck on her stomach. Everyone was throwing water on her and trying to pull it off."

Luii stayed in hospital for three days after the accident on Sunday, and is now recovering at home.

Her mum says her stomach and arms will be scarred for life and that she is likely to need a skin graft, while her devastated dad Nathan slammed the careless people who had left the barbecue in the park.

"Our daughter has been subjected to untold agony and trauma due to negligence, inconsideration and a deep lack of care for others," he said.

Council bylaws state it is illegal to have a barbecue in Sutton's parks, and a spokesman said the council were 'sorry' for the 'unfortunate incident'.

"We would like to draw attention to the park bylaws which forbid anyone from lighting a fire for a barbecue or any other reason unless it is in a designated area on one of the stands provided," he said, adding: "In this incident the barbecue was not on a stand."


Suggest a correction