Warning To Teens Who Film Themselves Snorting Crushed Up Sweets

14/08/2014 16:57 | Updated 20 May 2015

Warning to teens who film themselves snorting crushed up sweets

Children are taking part in a startling craze in which they crush up sweets and snort them up their noses.

The dangerous and 'widespread phenomenon' in the US involves sweets called Smarties (which are not to be confused with the candy-covered chocolates on sale in Britain) and has so concerned one school that it has issued a warning to parents after clips were posted onto YouTube.

Administrators at Portsmouth Middle School in Rhode Island warned that children who snorted Smarties were at risk of lung infections, bleeding and nasal passage scarring, allergic reactions and even smoker's cough.

And, according to the letter made public by local blogger and parent John McDaid, kids who inhale crushed-up candies could be more susceptible to drug and nicotine addiction later in life compared to their peers.

The Smarties snorting trend isn't new, as some of the YouTube videos date back to at least 2007.

In one video, a young girl crushes up some sweets on her school desk before using a tampon tube to suck the the dust up her nose.

In another, young boys are seen making lines of Smarties dust similar to cocaine and snorting the sugary powder through a rolled up dollar bill.

The clip, which has attracted more than 12,000 views, shows the kids coughing and gasping for air as the residue fills their nasal passages and lungs.

Some kids prefer to 'smoke' Smarties by pouring the powdered sweets into their mouths and then exhaling through the nose.

But it is important to note that the sweets - made up of dextrose, citric acid, calcium stearate, flavouring and colouring agents - do not provide any high.

}catch(e){}Internet Trend Shows People Snorting Out of Condoms

Suggest a correction