Cook up a batch of these muffins that ooze with blackcurrant jam in the middle and they'll keep you going for breakfast all week. Lovely with a cup of tea too.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutesMakes: 6
100g spelt flour
50g golden caster sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1tsp mixed spice
50g rapeseed oil
1 Pink Lady apple, grated
1 medium egg beaten
1 banana, mashed
50ml semi skimmed milk
8tsp blackcurrant jam
1tsp demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
2. Line six holes of a muffin tin with muffin cases or greaseproof paper. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and spice.
3. In a separate bowl combine the oil, grated apple, milk, beaten egg and mashed banana. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and combine quickly but don't over mix. Then pour one dessert spoon of mixture into each case and make a well in the centre.
4. Put a teaspoon of backcurrant jam in the middle and gently top with another dessert spoon of mixture.
5. Divide any leftover mixture between the cases and sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little demerara sugar.
6. Bake for 25-30 mins until the tops are browned and the muffins are cooked through. Put on a wire rack to cool.
Recipe courtesy of Streamline Jam.