A quick and delicious store cupboard supper of tasty Asian style fritters packed with sweetcorn, grated carrot, roasted peppers and coriander.
The egg and polenta batter gives the little patties a lighter finish. Fabulous served with plenty of salad with pots of sweet chilli sauce for dipping. There's no spice in these fritters, just bags of flavour so they're ideal for all the family.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutesServes: 4
3 tbsp polenta
Half tsp baking powder
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
2 slices roasted red pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
250g tin sweetcorn, drained
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
1 lime, zest only
3 tbsp sunflower oil
sweet chilli sauce, to serve
3 tbsp polenta
1. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl, then stir in the polenta and baking powder.
2. Add in the chopped garlic, peppers, and grated carrot and stir. Then mix in the sweetcorn coriander and lime zest. Season and set aside. You can put some cling film over the bowl and pop it in the fridge ready to cook later if you like.
3. When you're ready, pour the oil into a large non-stick frying pan and place over a high heat. Once hot dollop two tablespoons of mixture on top of one another to form each fritter, pressing down to help form a patty shape and keep them together. You'll probably be able to fit 3-4 in a pan at one time, so you'll need to cook them in batches.
4. After a couple of minutes, carefully turn each fritter over and cook for a further few minutes on the other side. Transfer to some kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil and continue with the next batch until you've used all your batter.
5. Serve on a board in the middle of the table with a scattering of chopped coriander alongside a large salad and sweet chilli sauce.
Cook's tip: The beauty of this recipe is that you can adapt it to your own tastes. Fire it up with a pinch or two of cayenne pepper!
More family recipes: