PARENTS

Duchess Of Cambridge Australian Hoax Call DJ Received Death Threats

14/10/2014 11:28 | Updated 20 May 2015

Mel Greig Jacintha Saldanha inquest

The Australian DJ who made a controversial hoax call to the hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for hypermesis gravidarum while pregnant with Prince George has revealed she has received death threats.

Melanie Greig posed as the Queen during the call in which private medical information about the pregnant Kate was disclosed.

Nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, took the call and hanged herself three days later.

In an interview with BBC's Newsnight, the DJ revealed that she had been stalked, harassed and had even been sent bullets in the post.

She added: "I was in lockdown for months. There were bullets with our name on it sent to police stations...Luckily I can handle it now, but there was a time when I could not handle it and I believed it."

Ms Greig said she appreciated the Saldanha family had lost 'a wife and a mother' but said the death threats to her were 'disgusting'.

At the inquest into the nurse's death recently, Ms Greig told Mrs Saldanha's family: "I really just wanted to say I am truly sorry, I've wanted to say that for so long."

Indian-born Mrs Saldanha was found dead in nursing accommodation on December 7 2012, after Ms Greig and fellow shock-jock Michael Christian broadcast the call on Sydney's 2Day FM on December 4.

Mrs Saldanha's only role was to answer the phone to the DJs and, believing the call was from the Queen, put them through to a nurse who revealed details of Kate's condition.

The Duchess was being treated at the King Edward VII's Hospital in London for hyperemesis gravidarum, a form of severe morning sickness, which she is currently suffering from with her second pregnancy.

Westminster coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox said there was evidence the hoax had been 'pressing on the mind' of Mrs Saldanha before she killed herself, along with her difficult relationship with a junior colleague who had made a complaint of bullying and harassment against her, which had recently been dismissed.

Andrew Robertson, current chief executive at King Edward VII's Hospital, said: "The coroner has thoroughly investigated what happened and the evidence has shown that King Edward VII's Hospital did everything it reasonably could to support Jacintha following the hoax call."

DJs Regret Royal Prank

More:

Mums
Suggest a correction