PARENTS

Children Returning From Carol Concert Hurt In School Bus Crash

04/12/2014 10:59 | Updated 20 May 2015

Children returning from carol concert hurt in school bus crash

Primary school children returning from a Christmas carol concert were rushed to hospital after a lorry collided with their school bus.

Eight children, aged between nine and 11 years old, were taken to hospital along with the driver and another 19 were treated by paramedics at the scene in Pershore, Worcestershire. One was taken on a spinal board after complaining of neck pain.

The 40-seater bus was pulling out of a side street across a busy road on Tuesday (December 2) afternoon when it collided with the lorry.

The accident happened as the pupils from St Nicholas Church of England Middle School in Pinyin, Worcestershire, were travelling home after attending a carol concert at Pershore Abbey.

Parents were alerted to the incident by text messages sent from the school and the remaining uninjured students were taken back to St Nicholas on a mini bus where they were reunited with their parents.

In a statement, the school said that all the children from the school were 'doing well' and were back in school yesterday (Wednesday).

The executive headteacher Andrew Best said there had been a special school assembly held this morning and that it was a 'blessing' that no one was seriously injured.

The statement said: "The children, from our school, who were taken to hospital yesterday with minor cuts and bruises after their bus was involved in a collision with a lorry in Pershore, are all doing well and have been back in school today.

"Nineteen other pupils were taken to a private house nearby, where they were assessed by local doctors before being transported back to school. An ambulance team were at the school briefing parents on a one-to-one basis on the aftercare of their children."

He added: "Everyone's priority was to ensure that the children and staff involved received the best care possible."

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "Over 40 children and adults were on the coach at the time of the crash with the children believed to be between nine and 11 years old.

"A total of 27 school children were assessed away from the road side. One boy, complaining of neck pain, was treated at the scene and immobilised with a neck collar and spinal board. He was transferred to Worcester Royal Hospital.

"Three further children and the man who was driving the coach all received treatment at the scene for minor injuries and were conveyed to the same hospital.

"The remaining children were all checked over by the doctor and ambulance crews and were discharged on scene."

More:

Going Out
Suggest a correction