I have survived sexual assault more times than I can count. My journey to healing gave me strength to tell my stories which is why in 2014, I founded #StopRapeEducate and I have been inspiring survivors around the world ever since.
Five years ago, when I woke up from my last suicide attempt, I decided I never wanted to feel that down again. A few days later, I discovered Yoga for Dummies and this book radically changed my life.
It amazed me that I could reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by changing my thinking and using my body in empowering ways. Even with all I had gone through, counseling and anti-depressants weren't for me. So, I explored dozens of alternative healing techniques that worked wonders in my life. I hope that you will try a few of these to turn your pain into power.
10 ways to heal spiritually after sexual assault:
1. YOGA. Yoga is a fantastic way of rebuilding self-confidence by reclaiming ownership of your body. In just a couple weeks you will feel lighter, more focused, and centered. As little as 30 minutes of yoga a day can reduce stress and anxiety. I still practice yoga to this day because it helps me get in tune with my mind, body, and spirit.
2. MEDITATION. Meditation is the practice of silencing the mind and tuning into your Higher Self. Your Higher Self is the part of you that is infinite, omniscient, and invincible. By getting in tune with your spirit, you raise your vibration allowing miracles to manifest in your life. Meditation takes practice, persistence, and patience but will provide life-changing results!
3. POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS. What you speak becomes your reality. By repeating positive phrases to yourself, you can transform the world around you. My personal favorites are, "I am happy. I am healed. I am powerful." Repeat 5-10 minutes a day and you will start feeling more alive and ready to thrive! For an extra boost, say positive affirmations while looking in the mirror or check out a fellow survivor turned healer, Louise Hay, who has written books with hundreds of positive affirmations that will transform your life.
4. VISUALIZING. When you imagine your dreams, they become real. Focus your thoughts on your goals at least 15 minutes a day. Sit in silence in a comfortable place and just build your dreams in your mind. Get specific and set NO LIMITS! When imagination has no limits, neither does life. To speed up the process of manifestation, make a vision board and hang it in your room or office.
5. NATURE. It's scientifically proven that spending time in nature has great health benefits. Take time to enjoy nature by going for a walk, riding your bike, gardening, watching the sunrise, or even dancing in the rain. For a double whammy of healing, practice any of these techniques (like yoga or meditation) in nature.
6. MUSIC. Whether you're listening, singing, or dancing, music has a magical way of making people feel phenomenal! As a singer-songwriter, music helped heal me by allowing me to express myself and helping me find my voice. Listen to uplifting music throughout the day to keep your spirits high.
7. ART THERAPY. Express yourself creatively. Choose something that you're passionate about and remember, there are no limits to creativity. A few creative arenas that have made a positive impact on my life are painting and chalk art! Try something new like pottery, painting, or jewelry-making.
8. EXERCISE. I was never an exercise person, in fact, I was lazy and loved it! However, I never realized how fun and empowering physical activity could be until recently. In addition to feeling great, looking great, and losing weight, exercise is an incredible way to reclaim ownership over your body.
9. WRITING. When you write, you release bottled up feelings & emotions and give the stage to your subconscious mind. Take time daily to write in your journal, blog, or poetry book. When you're ready, write about your survival story and share it with others to inspire survivors.
10. COMMUNITY. Meeting other survivors helped me cope with the rape and abuse I had been through. It's important to have a friend or someone you can trust to talk to about your healing journey.
Sometimes we have to think outside the box in order to heal.. I hope you try each and every one of these methods so that you can make the rest of your life the best of your life!
Remember, "if you can survive the abuse, you can survive the recovery." Recovery has been the most beautiful experience of my life and I am grateful for the opportunity to mold myself into a stronger, and more wholesome individual. I have faith in you and your journey. Don't give up. You can do this!
For more information about Amber Amour, visit www.ambertheactivist.com
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more