The presenter announced he was stepping down from the BBC Two motoring show after just one series on Monday (4 July), after dismal ratings for its last episode.
It has now been claimed bosses are overjoyed at his resignation, calling his revamp of the show a "disaster".
A show insider told The Sun: "Chris is gone - everyone here is celebrating. It’s been a disaster."
The paper also claimed the Radio 2 DJ will not receive a pay-off for leaving, despite originally signing a three-year deal when he took over from Jeremy Clarkson last year.
They added the Director of BBC Studios, Mark Linsey, also didn't try to change Chris' mind when he informed him of his decision to leave.
Chris made his announcement on Twitter, writing: "Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best.
"Full steam ahead then with Radio 2, CarFest, Children In Need, 500 Words and whatever else we can dream up in the future."
It has since been confirmed he will not be replaced on the show, with co-host Matt LeBlanc stepping up to be the main presenter, with Rory Reid, Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz continuing to support him.
A BBC spokesperson said: “Series 24 starts filming in September and we plan to continue with no changes to the current line up.
“'Top Gear' is an ensemble piece in terms of presenters and will continue to be so. Chris made the decision to leave on his own.”
A friend later claimed Chris decided to go after being unable to take the criticism about the rebooted series, which has received poor reviews and falling ratings.
Also on HuffPost
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more