Hot on the heels of why you should start drinking green juice for life-changing mojo, here's a simple way to get started with two super-easy recipes to inspire you to drink your greens.
Get started 1-2-3
- Start with spinach and parsley; they are mild in flavour and packed with nutrients.
- Then try kale, mixed green salad leaves, Romaine lettuce, and arugula (rocket) for fuller flavor and a more spicy taste.
- Later, introduce wilder greens like nettles, watercress and mustard greens; nutrient dense, they tend to have a bitter flavour.
Try these simple recipes to get you started.
NB. Both make about 32 oz/ 4 cups.
Recipe 1 - "Cilapple"
From A Juice Feaster's Handbook (www.rawreform.com) by Angela Stokes-Monarch.
- 6-8 stalks celery
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro
- 4 green apples
- 1 lemon or lime, peeled
Juice (or blend and strain). Serve immediately.
Cilantro is great for helping with heavy metal detox; green apples and citrus are lovely low glycaemic choices for juicy sweeteners; and with goodies such as magnesium, calcium, vitamin K and more, this is a great juice combo.
Recipe 2: "Swiss Alps ~ Fresh Herbs"
From Live Food, Live Bodies (Square One Publishing) by Jay & Linda Kordich
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 medium beetroot with its greens
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 1 medium lime with skin
- 4 large leaves Swiss chard
- 10-12 stalks celery
- Optional: 1 red delicious apple to sweeten
Juice the beetroot and greens, follow with the celery, and then the lime.
"When using the fresh basil you will smell the beauty of this royal herb; and the lime in these tonics really makes the greens stand out. This combination is good for the liver, nerves, bronchial tubes, and for phlegm," says Linda.
Be Playful With Your Own Combinations, following the green juice theme. Mix and match, try different combinations and experiment with new flavours to keep it interesting.
Top 5 Ingredients for 'Green' Juicing
- All greens - high in all four essential minerals: Calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium
- Cucumber - rich in silicon and sulphur, making it excellent for hair and nails
- Celery - high in organic sodium to help with detoxification
- Parsley - high in calcium and vitamin C, and great for supporting the adrenal glands
- Beetroot - high in natural chlorine to cleanse liver, kidneys and gall bladder
Read Start Drinking Green Juice for Life-Changing Mojo for ideas on how to boost the flavour with herbs, fruit, celery and spices.
And away you go!