I'm all for making the most of good weather and getting outside lots in the summer but one thing I've never considered is taking a twilight picnic.
Now this has nothing to do with vampires and love stories, it's about setting off for a picnic at dusk. And it's all thanks to the National Trust, which is staging lots of twilight picnics. There are some lovely spots where you can spread out your rug this month and enjoy the long summer evenings.
So dig out your hamper, stock up on delicious finger food and read our list to find out where you can have some summer twilight fun.
- Belton House, Lincolnshire: Midsummer picnic and music in the garden June 19, 6pm - 9pm. Booking is essential and there are additional event charges so call 01476 566116
- Croft Castle and Parkland, Herefordshire: This is a one-off chance on June 19, 5pm - 10pm to have a late evening picnic in the grounds. Normal admission charges apply but no extra event charges so booking is not required
- Tattershall Castle, Lincolnshire: Summer solstice picnic on June 21, 6pm - 10pm when you can enjoy sunset in the castle grounds and live entertainment. Normal admission applies but there are no extra charges. Booking is not required
- Carding Mill Valley and the Shropshire Hills, Shropshire: Picnic Week, June 21 - 27, 11am to 9pm. Normal admission charges apply, booking is not required
- Hidcote Manor Garden, Gloucestershire: It is also holding a Picnic Week on June 21 - 23 and again on June 26 - 27, 5pm to 10 pm. There are normal admission charges but no extra ones and booking is not required
- Brownsea Island, Dorset: A midsummer picnic will be held on June 23, 6.30pm to 10pm. The cost is £12 adult and child £8, which includes a boat to the island from the Sandbanks Jetty. Booking is essential so please call 01202 492161
- Cliveden, Buckinghamshire: Midsummer evening picnic on June 23, 5.30pm to 9.30pm. Normal admission charges only apply and booking is not required
- Hughenden Manor, Buckinghamshire: Picnic in the park on June 23 - 27, 11am to 8pm. Booking is not required and normal admission charges apply for this event
- Mottistone Manor Garden, Isle of Wight: Bring a picnic and enjoy the late opening on June 23, 11am - 9pm. Normal admission charges apply, there are no event charges and booking is not required
- Brickling Hall, Norfolk: Midsummer picnic on June 23, 6.30pm to 10pm and a fairies and goblins event on June 26, 5pm to 9pm when children are encouraged to come in costume. There are no additional event charges, just the normal admission ones and you don't have to book
- Smallhythe Place, Kent: Midsummer picnic on June 23, 7pm to 10pm. There is no formal charge but donations to Dress in the Limelight appeal are welcome. Booking is not required
- Prior Park Landscape Garden, Somerset: Picnic at Prior on June 26 from 11am to 9pm. Booking's not required, normal admission charges apply
- Souter Lighthouse, Tyne and Wear: Souter will be open from 11am to 10pm on June 26. Normal admission charges apply, booking not required
- Ightham Mote, Kent: Picnic in the evening on June 26, 6pm to 9pm. Children's activities will be available and there will be hampers to buy from Mote Restaurant. Normal admission charges apply.