PARENTS

Choking Internet 'Game' Killed 13-Year-Old Boy

19/08/2010 11:32 | Updated 22 May 2015

A coroner has recorded a verdict of accidental death after a 13-year-old Essex boy died playing a 'choking game', made popular on the internet.


Harry Robinson was found hanging in the bathroom of his family home by his 11-year-old brother earlier this year. Essex and Thurrock coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray said there was 'sufficient evidence' for her to believe it was 'highly likely Harry was experimenting with the choking game and it had gone terribly wrong.'

The 'game' involves youngsters filming themselves with ligatures around their necks until they achieve a high. They then upload the films to the internet.

Ms Beasley-Murray voiced grave concerns about the activity, saying: 'There's clearly national concern about this practice. It's an extremely dangerous practice that children are engaging in - to say they are dicing with death is an understatement. None of these children intend to kill themselves - there is no evidence Harry wanted to kill himself.

'We need to educate them about the risk they are taking. We need to educate parents in what to look out for - the tell-tale signs. The family wish to publicise these dangers so no other family has to go through what they have been through.'

What do you think?

How can we protect our children from killer crazes which sweep the internet?

Suggest a correction