Mum Left Paralysed After Pole Dancing Class

16/09/2010 12:31 | Updated 22 May 2015

A 32-year-old mum-of-two has been left paralysed after falling on her head during a pole dancing class.

Debbie Plowman from Haxby, near York, broke her neck and severely damaged her spine after falling from the pole during a 'cross ankle' manoeuvre that required participants to hang upside down. The supermarket worker fell on her head and twisted her spinal cord.

After receiving treatment at the scene from a nurse who happened to be attending the class, Mrs Plowman was taken to hospital in York by ambulance and later transferred to the Hull Royal Infirmary, where she has remained for the past nine months, unable to talk and with a ventilator assisting her breathing.

Her husband, Chris, with whom she has two children, Jack, five, and Ruby, two, told reporters of the devastating effect Debbie's accident has had on their family:

'You feel that these things happen to other people and not to you. This has been a heartbreaking experience for me and my two children.

'Debbie was and still is a fantastic mum, an amazingly beautiful wife and the most caring and honest person anyone could want to meet.

'We have been married for seven years and been together for nearly 14 years. We make a great team, and are a very close couple who are best mates.'

'Without the support of my large, strong and close family, and brilliant friends, this would all have been too much for anyone to cope with.'

Doctors say Mrs Plowman is showing small signs of improvement, and are hoping to send her to a specialist neurological unit in Harrogate.

Do you pole dance for fitness?

Should exercise classes be subjected to stiffer health and safety rules, or are terrible freak accidents like this always a possibility?

Suggest a correction