Having a child start school is a huge milestone for any parent.
But for Harley Lane's mum and dad, it means the world – because, just 18 months ago, they nearly lost their son to a lethal strain of meningitis.
Four-year old Harley contracted bacterial meningitis, which causes septicemia, in May last year. During his battle with the disease, his heart stopped three times, and he had to have both arms and both legs amputated.
Parents Adam and Samantha are now overjoyed that their little boy has started at his local primary school in Stockport, Greater Manchester.
And it couldn't be going better.
'He's the most popular kid at the school,' his dad told the Manchester Evening News.
Harley has had prosthetic arms and legs fitted, and is adapting to them well. 'It's just getting him confident with putting them on and standing on them. He can stand on them a lot more on his own now,' said dad Adam.
Staff at Hazel Grove Primary School help Harley move around using his artificial limbs and a wheelchair, and Harley is helped by a full-time teaching assistant. The school has also had a hygeine room fitted to help him stay infection-free.
Headteacher Jean Burston said: 'Harley is settling in really well – he's got many friends. Our motto is "Give it all you've got", and that's what he does.'
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more