Schoolgirl Ashley Cherry Suffers Horrific Injuries After Experiment Explodes In Her Face

Posted: Updated:
STUDENT SEVERE BURNS
File Picture | alamy

Schoolgirl Ashley Cherry may be scarred for life after suffering second-degree burns on her face when a science experiment exploded.

The 13-year-old from Oklahoma, USA, was in a science class when the accident occurred during a 'flame colour test', in which various elements are burned to detect the presence of metal ions.

The girl's hair was set alight during the experiment, her face was burned and she was left in hospital for a week.

Cherry has been told she will need lengthy reconstructive surgery, but according to reports, and her parents are struggling to pay for the medication needed to treat the burns.

Buddy and Kim Cherry, from Oklahoma, said they were "beyond angry" about the incident.

"It doesn't make sense to me that the teacher was performing the experiment and doesn't have any injuries whatsoever."

The Kerr Middle school has launched an investigation into the accident but they believe the teacher conducting the practical lesson followed correct safety procedures, and used a burn blanket and fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

The teenager has to wear protective bandages to stop the burns from blistering and admitted she is worried about she will look.

"I don't know what my scars are going to be like or how my hair is going to turn out."

Friends have started a fund to help pay for Cherry's treatment.

Around the Web

Girl, 13, may be scarred for life after school science experiment explodes in ...