Exam Cheating: Examiners To Be Grilled By MPs

15/12/2011 08:35 | Updated 13 February 2012

Suspended exam chiefs are to be grilled by MPs over allegations they gave unfair advice to teachers on how to boost GCSE and A-level results and made exams easier to attract more business.

A House of Commons education committee will question three examiners after the Daily Telegraph claimed to expose a culture of corruption through their secret footage last week.

Steph Warren, head of Edexcel GCSE geography was caught boasting how "easy" her exams were for students. The Edexcel official , who is responsible for setting exams for tens of thousands of students, was captured on film saying: "There's so little content we don't know how we got it through."

The undercover investigation also revealed teachers paying up to £230 a day to attend seminars with chief examiners to receive "advice". Paul Evans, a chief examiner for WJEC GCSE history told his audience exam papers go "through a cycle".

Both Paul Evans and Steph Warren, as well as Paul Barnes, will face MPs on Thursday.

Follow the live blog for more updates:

15/12/2011 10:18 GMT

Perception of pupils taught to pass exams

Pressure government puts on schools through league tables is to blame, examiners say.

15/12/2011 10:12 GMT

Warren gets defensive when asked what guidance she gets in "training sessions" with teachers.

"I am a professional" she insists.

"Are there statements which explicitly detail what you can and can't say?"

Warren pauses, stutters, and then says there are statements in her contract.

WJEC: not contracted for training events. Just "kick in" at important times of the year.

15/12/2011 10:02 GMT

Conflict between market share and syllabus

WJEC is too small to "compete aggressively".

Warren: I have never been asked to market Edexcel.

15/12/2011 09:57 GMT

Warren: Aims of sessions are to share "good practice"

Papers are written two years in advance, there is very tight security.

Was discussing specification, not exam papers, when she said some questions were easier.

"Media coverage has been difficult for me."

"My concerns are for the children and how the media coverage affects the belief in themselves and the examination system."

15/12/2011 09:55 GMT

Steph Warren: I do not even recall conversation

"I had had a really exhausting day of training."

Adamant did not say exams were easier. "My own daughter has transcribed the conversation. It is not true."

Other comments were edited out by Telegraph, she claims. Her own comments were made in "heat of the moment".

Deeply regret the "inappropriate comment".

"We all make mistakes," she says.

15/12/2011 09:52 GMT

Evans: reference to the word "cheating" was inappropriate and should not have been used.

"I did not breach any confidentiality."

Adds not prepared to comment on personal position.

15/12/2011 09:51 GMT

Evans: Advice already available on website

"I was only reporting what was already public knowledge.

"I had no opportunity to comment beforehand."

15/12/2011 09:47 GMT

Paul Evans

Seminar was held to "utilise" syllabus. Intention was to "inform" and "assist" teachers

15/12/2011 09:47 GMT

Paul Barnes rejects allegations

"I truly believe I have been misrepresented."

Says footage was edited

15/12/2011 09:37 GMT

MPs can quiz examiners over teachers giving student exams questions

Daily Telegraph revealed today teachers have been "forced to adopt questionable tactics" by giving teenagers exam paper questions ahead of the pupils sitting the papers.