A member of the Irish Olympic team is under investigation after allegations that an athlete previously bet on an opponent to win an event in which they were both competing.
The Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) is probing the allegations, made by email, which accused the competitor of placing two bets on an opponent in an unspecified sport prior to the Olympics.
The Irish Independent newspaper said it has possession of detailed documentary evidence which suggests the competitor used their personal account with a large bookmaking firm to place two separate bets, both backing a specific opponent to claim victory in a competition they were also in.
The bets, at a price of 12/1, were placed the day before the competition started and both were successful, according to the daily newspaper.
Records show the first bet won 533 euro (£417) and the second one 3,367 euro (£2,634), it added.
A spokesman said the athlete, who was not named, has been told about the anonymous allegation.
The claim has rocked the Olympic squad of 65 athletes across 14 sports.
The OCI spokesman said it is now a legal issue between the OCI and the competitor and that it would not make any further comment.
Olympic organisers are not involved at this stage.
It is understood a detailed letter from the competitor's solicitor was sent to the OCI on Thursday and a full investigation was launched.
The probe is the latest twist to affect Team Ireland in recent weeks.
The OCI was caught in a legal wrangle in the run-up to the Games over the make-up of the women's 400m relay team.
Elsewhere two Irish athletes took cases for non-selection to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Boxer Joe Ward's appeal was rejected on Thursday and the fate of showjumper Denis Lynch will be known tonight.