DJ Dave Lee Travis today denied any wrongdoing after his arrest by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal, stressing that allegations against him had "nothing to do with kids".
Speaking outside his home near Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, the 67-year-old protested his innocence and said he did not want his name associated with "bloody evil" child abuse.
He said: "This is nothing to do with kids, all right? That's the first thing. Because that to me is the most important thing in the world and I do not wish to have my name sullied around something that bloody evil, to be honest.
"The second thing I want is to say, yes, there's a complete denial there, but there's nothing else I can tell you because otherwise I might be stepping on the police's feet and I don't want to do that because it might affect their investigations."
Travis has been taken "off air with immediate effect" by radio station Magic AM, for which he presents a weekend show.
A spokeswoman for Bauer Media which owns Magic AM said: "Following the arrest and release on police bail of Dave Lee Travis, Bauer Media has decided to take him off air with immediate effect from his Magic AM weekend shows, which broadcast across the north of England.
"We understand that the allegations about which he was questioned by police pre-date his time as a freelance contributor to Magic AM.
"While we can make no judgment on the matters under investigation, we believe it would be inappropriate for him to broadcast until they are resolved."
The former Radio 1 star, from Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, was held on suspicion of sexual offences and bailed on Thursday evening to return on a date in early January.
Police said the allegations do not directly involve Savile, and are classed under the strand of their investigation termed "others".
The latest arrest came as the Metropolitan Police revealed they are now dealing with around 450 potential victims, the majority of whom claim they fell prey to Savile.
This has risen from around 300 possible victims the force said they were dealing with last month.
Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.
Most of the "others" allegations have been made against people associated with the entertainment industry.
Ex-glam rocker Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and a 73-year-old man have already been arrested and bailed in connection with the investigation.
A 1977 episode of Top Of The Pops featuring Travis was due to be shown on BBC4 on Thursday night but was pulled.
Last month Travis vigorously denied allegations that he groped two women while in BBC studios.
One alleged he had put his hand up her skirt, while the other said he had "jiggled" her breasts.
The former judge leading the BBC inquiry into the Savile scandal has launched an appeal for witnesses.
Dame Janet Smith, who is reviewing the corporation's practices during the Savile years, called on potential victims, witnesses, people who worked with the TV presenter and senior staff at the time to assist the investigation.
According to the inquiry's website, the review also wants to hear from people "who were familiar with the culture or practices of the BBC" in terms of "preventing or enabling the sexual abuse of children, young people or teenagers".
In addition, the Department of Health is investigating its own conduct after appointing Savile to head a taskforce at Broadmoor high-security hospital in 1988.
Comments are closed for legal reasons.