Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall has appeared in court to deny three separate charges of sexually abusing girls.
The 82-year-old former It's A Knockout presenter pleaded not guilty when he was called before the bench for the brief hearing at Preston Magistrates' Court.
Hall was asked by the clerk of the court if he understood that he faced three separate charges of indecent assault and if he wanted to enter a plea.
Stuart Hall has appeared in court to plead not guilty
He replied: "Yes I do. Not guilty to all three charges."
Joanne Cunliffe, prosecuting, said the case should be sent to crown court because they are too serious to be dealt with at magistrates' court.
Outlining the charges she said Hall is alleged to have fondled the breast of one girl, then aged 16 or 17, between September 1, 1974 and December 31, 1974 in Blackpool.
None of Hall's alleged victims can be named for legal reasons
On a second occasion he is alleged to have molested a nine-year-old girl by touching some time between January 1, 1983 and December 31, 1983 and the third alleged indecent assault is that he kissed a 13-year-old girl on the lips, on an occasion between July 1, 1984 and September 27, 1984.
Hall was allowed to sit down in the witness box while further details of the charges were given. None of the alleged victims can be named for legal reasons.
Louise Straw, defending, told District Judge Peter Ward there would be no objection to the case being sent to the Crown Court, where the matter would go before a jury.
The 82-year-old former It's A Knockout presenter pleaded not guilty
District Judge Ward granted Hall bail on condition that he lives at his home address in Prestbury Road in Wilmslow, Cheshire, and that he has no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 17.
"You do understand that?" he asked Hall.
"Yes, of course," the defendant replied.
Hall, who was first arrested on December 5 following an investigation by Lancashire Police, left the court building after the brief hearing, followed by TV cameras, photographers and reporters.
He has been a familiar face and voice in British broadcasting for half a century and was last year awarded an OBE.
His eccentric and erudite football match summaries have made him a cult figure on BBC Radio 5 Live.
Hall will not be working at the BBC while he faces the allegations, the corporation has said.
He was bailed until April 16 for a next appearance at Preston Crown Court.
Comments are closed for legal reasons
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more