Many British men are secretly wearing make-up to hide their imperfections, a survey has revealed.

According to the findings, 1 in 10 men have turned to cosmetics to enhance their appearance, with men from Newcastle most likely to wear make-up, followed closely by men who come from Essex. For a visual cue think Geordie Shore and TOWIE.

Of the 1,831 men polled by luxury designer discount site HushHush.com, 11% admitted to wearing make-up: 52% put slap on regularly and 22% wear it every day.

See the most popular products among men below, in reverse order:

Loading Slideshow...
  • #5 Bronzer

  • #4 Mascara

  • #3 Eyeliner

  • #2 Lipgloss

  • #1 Concealer

More than one third of the men taking part (37%) said they used fake-tan products; with the majority of these (68%) preferring to use at-home ranges. The remaining 32% said they preferred to go to spray-tanning salons and 14% of men said that they regularly used tanning beds.

According to the survey northerners are more likely to wear make-up than southeners, with just three of the top 10 cities being located in the south.

Cities where men are most likely to wear 'secret' make-up

1. Newcastle
2. Essex
3. Liverpool
4. Leeds
5. Edinburgh
6. Manchester
7. Exeter
8. Nottingham
9. Cardiff
10. Middlesbrough

LIKE HUFFPOST UK LIFESTYLE ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Also on HuffPost: The most popular cosmetic surgery treatments among men

Loading Slideshow...
  • Gynaecomastia

    According to <a href="http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/">Transform</a>, the number of men enquiring about gynaecomastia increased by 28%

  • Rhinoplasty

    According to <a href="http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/">Transform</a>, the number of men enquiring about rhinoplasty increased by 17%

  • Hair Transplant

    According to <a href="http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/">Transform</a>, the number of men enquiring about hair transplant increased by 15%

  • Blepharoplasty 11%

    According to <a href="http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/">Transform</a>, the number of men enquiring about blepharoplasty increased by 11%

  • Botox

    According to <a href="http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/">Transform</a>, the number of men enquiring about botox increased by 10%