A multimillion-pound collection of paintings built up over decades by art historian Sir Denis Mahon has been given to the nation.
The 57 Italian Baroque masterpieces have been shared between six museums and galleries, including the National Gallery in central London, the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh, and the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge.
Sir Denis, who died in 2011, built up the collection and left it to the Art Fund charity, along with a £1 million bequest.
The paintings, with a reported value of £100 million, were already on long-term loan to the respective museums on condition they did not charge admission or sell works from their collections.
Art Fund director Stephen Deuchar said: "Sir Denis Mahon was a life-long supporter of the Art Fund and shared our fundamental commitment to widening free public access to art.
"His vision as an art collector was extraordinary, as was his determination that his collection should ultimately be on public display.
"It is an enormous honour for the Art Fund to have been entrusted with his private collection and to oversee its transfer into the permanent collections of these museums and galleries across the UK."
10 - Massacre Of The Innocents by Peter Paul Rubens, $76.7m (£49.4m)
Sold at Sotheby's in London in July 2002. PHOTO: PA
Bal Du Moulin De La Galette by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, $78.1m (£48.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 1990. PHOTO: Alamy
8. Le Bassin Aux Nympheas by Claude Monet, $80.5m (£49.7m)
Sold at Christie's in London in June 2008. PHOTO: PA
7. Portrait Of Dr Gachet by Vincent van Gogh, $82.5m (£51m)
Sold at Christie's in New York in May 1990. PHOTO: Wikipainting
6. Triptych, 1976 by Francis Bacon, $86.3m (£53.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2008. PHOTO: PA
5. Portrait Of Adele Bloch-Bauer II by Gustav Klimt, $87.9m (£54.3m)
Sold at Christie's in New York in November 2006. PHOTO: Wikipaintings
4. Dora Maar Au Chat by Pablo Picasso, $95.2m (£58.8m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2006. PHOTO: PA
3. Boy With A Pipe (The Young Apprentice) by Pablo Picasso, $104.1 million (£64.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2004. PHOTO: Wikipaintings
2. Nude, Green Leaves And Bust by Pablo Picasso, $106 million US dollars (£65.4 million)
Sold at Christie's in New York in May 2012. PHOTO: Rex
1. The Scream by Edvard Munch, $119.9 million (£74 million)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2012. PHOTO: PA