UK

British Boy, 3, Dies In Restaurant In Shanghai, China

17/04/2013 18:42 BST | Updated 17/06/2013 10:12 BST
PA
A generic view of police tape at a crime scene in Manchester.

A three-year-old British boy has died after a folding screen fell on him as he played at a restaurant in China, it has been reported.

The boy, who has not been named, was hit on the head at the Kervan Turkish restaurant in Shanghai at about 8.10pm on Monday, according to reports in the China Daily.

He was playing near a wooden screen used to separate diners at the time.

The restaurant owner's wife, who gave only her surname, Sun, told the China Daily the boy tumbled down and tried to get up by pulling the screen.

"The screen fell and hit him," Ms Sun said.

"It all happened about four metres away from us."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We can confirm the death of a British national on April 15.

"The British Consulate General is in contact with the family and providing consular assistance."

The spokesman did not disclose the boy's name or any further details.