LIFESTYLE

Puppy Saved From Antifreeze Poisoning... By Necking Bottle Of Vodka

11/03/2014 11:52 GMT | Updated 11/03/2014 13:59 GMT

Charlie the Maltese terrier was just hours from death after he licked antifreeze from the floor of his owner's garage.

But one quick-thinking vet was on hand to give the puppy an unlikely antidote... a 70cl bottle of vodka.

According to reports vodka changes the chemicals in antifreeze, making it easier to flush from the body.

But that wasn't the only effect the booze had.

“He [Charlie] was definitely drunk,” his owner Ms Rosewarne told the Herald Sun. “He was stumbling around, I’d go to pat him and he’d push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk.”

“I thought it was hilarious," she added. "It was distressing but funny at the same time.”

See Also:

Meet Ted, The Shar Pei Puppy Who Needs A £1000 Facelift - Excess Skin Could Make Him Blind

Readers And HuffPost Editors Reveal Why They Love Their Pets

But after downing a bottle of vodka, Charlie also experienced an almighty hangover.

“He just slept and slept and slept,” Ms Rosewarne said. “I tried to take him for a walk on Monday but he just sat down after 50m... I had to pick him up and carry him home.”