A 14-year-old boy was excluded from school after he walked out of class in protest at not getting enough homework - and 100 of his fellow pupils followed him.
Aaron Parfitt repeatedly asked for more homework to help with his maths after failing an exam at Bispham High School, Blackpool - which has a high turnover of teachers in the subject. He was denied the homework and so decided to stage a spontaneous demonstration with a few friends on Wednesday.
‘I was really worried because I just wanted to make sure I was able to do the work properly,’ he told the Metro.
Aaron poses with a letter explaining he won't be protesting again
"We’ve had loads of different teachers and we weren’t getting enough homework so I decided to call the council and Ofsted to see if they would help me but they couldn’t.
"I got fed up in the end so I held a protest with some friends and we walked out on to the field. Then loads more people started to follow me.
"There must have been around 100 people with me in the end and everyone sent me messages afterwards saying well done."
Last year, Bispham High School was threatened with closure and put into special measures after it was labelled "inadequate" by Ofsted inspectors, who said there was too much "mediocre teaching".
School officials responded by excluding him from classes for two days.
Speaking to the Blackpool Gazette, Deborah Hanlon-Catlow said: "This is undoubtedly a challenging time for the school. However, with support from Blackpool Council, we continue to work to try to improve teaching standards, behaviour, attendance and punctuality.
"This will not happen overnight but we continue to work with Ofsted, staff, parents and pupils towards gradual improvement.
"The school has a proactive policy in dealing with complaints from both parents and pupils. We are also passionate about ensuring that pupils and parents have a voice and are listened to. We deal with individual issues on a one-to-one basis."