At least four people have died, including the gunman, and 14 have been injured after a soldier opened fire at the Fort Hood military base in Texas on Wednesday. The incident comes less than five years after Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan went on a shooting rampage that left 13 dead and 31 wounded in the same base.
Speaking on Wednesday evening, President Obama said the US government will get to the bottom of what happened, adding: "We're heartbroken that something like this might have happened again."
On Wednesday afternoon, officials at Fort Hood sent out a message for all personnel to "shelter in place". An army spokesperson later confirmed in an official statement that one person had died, but there was no definitive number on how many people had been injured or whether the shooter was still alive.
"There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported. Emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known at this time," the statement said.
Nidal Hasan, who was convicted in 2009 for the killings at the base, was sentenced to death by a military jury in August 2013.