Peaches Geldof died of a heroin overdose, after a lengthy battle with addiction to the class A drug, an inquest heard on Wednesday.
Peaches was found dead by her husband, Thomas Cohen, at the home they shared in Kent back in April. She was just 25 years old when she overdosed.
A previous inquest in May heard that heroin had played a role in her death, and that drug paraphernalia had been found in her home when her body was discovered.
Thomas has now revealed that, having recovered from her addiction to heroin, Peaches was taking weekly drug tests, which she had told her husband were coming back negative.
However, although he never saw the star taking any drugs, he suspected she might have started using again. After confronting her, he witnessed her retrieve heroin from their loft and flush it down the toilet.
Following this, Thomas says he would check the loft regularly for drugs but never found any, although he later learned through police inquiries that drugs had been discovered in their home.
Police investigating Peaches' death found "importation quality" heroin stashed in a cloth bag inside a cupboard in her bedroom, as well as drugs paraphernalia in the property.
After forensics analysed the brown powder, they discovered it was 6.91 grams of heroin with a purity of 61%, which “far exceeded” the 26% purity usually found at street level.
Thomas Cohen leaves his late wife's inquest
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham, who led the investigation, told the inquest: “The black bag also contained 34 medical syringes, some were with needles and some without, some were sealed in original packaging and some contained traces of a brown coloured residue.
"There were also 45 packaged and sealed syringes, alcohol wipes and cotton buds."
Thomas and Peaches
Peaches had two sons with Thomas, two-year-old Astala and one-year-old Phaedra.
Her musician father, Sir Bob Geldof, recently gave his first television interview since his daughter’s death on ITV’s ‘Lorraine’, where he said: “I think they're too young. I'm not sure, they're so small the little chaps and I'm not sure that they'll have this craving to remember their mum and I think that’s healthy."
Her death sadly marks a sad parallel with her mother, Paula Yates's, who died from a heroin overdose when Peaches was just 11 years old.
Also on HuffPost:
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more