Baby Died Of Heat Exhaustion During 1,100-Mile Drive In Van With No Air-Con

14/08/2014 16:52 | Updated 22 May 2015

Baby died of heat exhaustion during 1,100-mile drive in van with no air-con

The parents of a 23-day-old baby girl have been arrested after she allegedly died from heat exhaustion during a 1,100-mile road trip in a van that had no air conditioning and only one working window.

Christopher and Angela Randolph, aged 28 and 26, drove for 15 hours from Columbus, Ohio, to the town of Ringling Oklahoma, to visit family on Tuesday.

They stopped for petrol in Ardmore, 20 miles from their destination, when they noticed tiny Hanna had stopped breathing.

Temperatures in Oklahoma on Tuesday reached 38C with 30 perc ent humidity by 2pm, when the couple noticed their daughter wasn't breathing. She was rushed to the hospital, but pronounced dead.

Police believe she died from complications from heat exposure, though a full autopsy is pending, according to KOTV.

The couple's 15-month-old baby who was also in the van was taken into protect custody.

The parents, Christopher and Angela, were arrested and charged with child neglect causing death.

Suggest a correction