PARENTS

Boy, 15, With Nut Allergy Died After Eating Chinese Takeaway Spare Ribs

14/08/2014 16:46 | Updated 22 May 2015
Boy, 15, with nut allergy died after eating Chinese takeaway spare ribs

A teenager with a nut allergy was killed by barbecue spare ribs from a Chinese takeaway - because they had been marinated in peanut butter.

William Luckett, 15, fell ill after just two mouthfuls of the dish - and collapsed and died as his frantic father drove him to hospital.

It is thought the talented guitarist suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts used in the preparation of the food.

William was visiting his postman dad Steven, 43, on the Isle of Wight, when they called at the Hong Kong Express in Ryde.

His mum Helen Stiles, 43, said: "He always ordered the same things - duck in plum sauce and barbecue spare ribs.

"Will took two mouthfuls of rib and told his father he was feeling ill.

"He went to the toilet and when he came back he was covered in a rash.

"They left the house to drive to the hospital and he was walking and talking. But minutes after he got into the car he died.

"If Will or his father had even the slightest suspicion the food contained nuts, they would have asked.

"To die over something so trivial as peanut butter is a tragedy."

Restaurant boss Michael Hang said all their ribs come with peanut sauce - and it says so on the menu.

He said: "If a customer tells us they have allergies we're careful not to include what they're allergic to in the dish."

Will, who had Asperger syndrome, lived with his mum in Cliffords Mesne, Gloucestershire. Cops said his death was not suspicious. An inquest was adjourned.

A spokesman for the website Peanut Allergy UK said: "This very sad story illustrates the risk in eating high risk foods from cultures where cooking with peanuts is commonplace, such as Chinese, Thai and Indian cooking.

"He had eaten from the chain of restaurants before, but this particular one apparently used a variant of the recipe and included peanut sauce – having eaten there before gave his family a false sense of security.

"Although he had been prescribed an Epipen he was not carrying it with him at the time. Deaths from peanut allergy are uncommon but avoidable.

"When ordering from any restaurant it is important to mention your allergy, regardless of whether it is a food that you have ordered before or a restaurant you have been to before.

"Different cultures have different levels of awareness of peanut allergy, so stress the severity of it. "If possible speak with the chef or the manager.

"Always carry your Epipen and verify that it is in date, particularly if you are eating outside of the home."

Suggest a correction