PARENTS

Child Dies Of Bubonic Plague After Eating Barbecued Meat

14/08/2014 16:53 | Updated 22 May 2015

Teenager dies of bubonic plague after eating barbecued meat

A teenage boy has died from bubonic plague after eating infected barbecued meat.

Health officials fear an outbreak of the Black Death disease in central Asia after the 15-year-old died in Kyrgyzstan. It is the first record of the disease in the country in 30 years.

Mountain herder Temirbek Isakunov reportedly contracted the disease last week after eating an infected barbecued marmot.

Kyrgyzstan's emergency ministry said a young woman and two children from a different village who came into contact with the teenager were hospitalised on Tuesday with the high fever and swelling around the neck and armpits characteristic of bubonic plague, local news outlets reported.

A total of 131 people, including 33 medical personnel, have been quarantined, although none of them have yet exhibited symptoms of the disease.

The bacteria that cause bubonic plague are typically transmitted from rodents to humans via flea bites but can also be contracted through direct contact with infected tissue.

According to the World Health Organisation, the last significant outbreak of bubonic plague was in Peru in 2010 when 12 people were found to have been infected.

Suggest a correction