Five-Year-Old Girl Loses Tooth After Biting Into Domino's Pizza - And Metal Base

14/08/2014 16:50 | Updated 22 May 2015

Five-year-old girl loses tooth after biting into Domino's pizza - and metal base

A pizza chain has apologised after a five-year-old girl lost a tooth after biting into one of their Hawaiian pizzas.

Caitlyn Johansson from Cardiff was enjoying the treat from Domino's pizza, when she suddenly bit down on a mental grill which had been left under the pizza base.

Her mum Katie says Caitlyn was left 'screaming' and with 'blood everywhere' after the incident last Friday.

She says she and her family have now been 'put off pizza for life' after the episode.

Katie, 30,was in the car with husband Antony, 32, and their four daughters when she heard Caitlyn scream out.

"It was such a shock – she couldn't stop crying," Katie said. "To start with, I didn't realise it was anything to do with the pizza."

As she checked out her daughter's mouth, Katie - who is almost eight-months-pregnant - said she realized the pizza had 'ripped her tooth clean out'.

Katie said she subsequently discovered that the pizza was still attached to a round metal tray on its base. She told Wales Online that she thinks Caitlyn's tooth became stuck in one of the holes in the tray - and that she was lucky she had not burned herself, too.

"It was burning hot, because it had come straight from the oven," said Katie. "I'm glad she ate the toppings first, because it gave the metal time to cool down, otherwise she could have burnt her mouth and fingers too."

The worried mum said her little girl was still 'in quite a bit of pain' and that her gum was 'really sore'.

"A visit from the tooth fairy cheered her up, but I cooked a roast on Sunday and she couldn't eat it, because her mouth was so sore," she said.

The shocked mum said she was worried the drama might send her into early labour with her fifth child.

"I thought I was going to go into labour, I was so shocked and upset," she said. "We certainly won't be going back to Domino's any time soon. I think we have all been put off pizza for life."

A spokesman for Domino's Pizza said they sincerely apologised for the incident, and that the member of staff responsible would be given further training.

"A metal screen was left under a pizza as it left the store. This was an innocent mistake and one that does not normally happen in our day-to-day operation," the spokesperson said.

"The pizza screen should be removed as the pizza leaves the oven. We do have procedures in place and take staff training very seriously. This matter will be looked at internally and the team member involved will be given further training in this regard. The quality of our food is paramount. This was a genuine mistake and we are very sorry for this incident."

Suggest a correction