Cousins Ella Grix and Chloe Appleford made a grim discovery as they went to tuck in to some chocolate Weetabix cereal while staying with their gran - maggots.
The six-year-old girls were just about to pour milk on their cereal, when they spotted the maggots in their bowls.
They grandmother, 45-year-old Yvonne Read, had bought the cereal from a discount shop in Gravesend, Kent. She told the Mail she would now never buy Weetabix again.
"It was disgusting," she said. "The box was sealed so they must have got in at the supermarket or factory. There was about four in each Weetabix. They were all just crawling out."
She said the product was in date, with a 'sell by' stamp of April 10, 2014.
An assistant at the store she purchased the cereal from said it was a production issue and nothing to do with his shop - although they have now removed all boxes of Weetabix from their shelves.
"We understand it's not fair for her to pay 99p and not getting anything from it, but it's nothing to do with us, it's Weetabix," said Anthony Vinoth from the Terry Discount Store.
A spokesman for Weetabix Ltd said they were 'concerned' and were making arrangements to have the cereal analysed, adding they would conduct a 'full and thorough investigation'.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more