A furious grandad has told how his three-year-old grandaughter almost touched a dirty syringe on a popular family beach in South Wales.
The man – who does not want to be identified - spotted the used needle sticking up through pebbles on the beach at Ogmore-by-Sea, and yanked the toddler away from it just in time.
"If I hadn't grabbed her she would've had it in her hand," he told his local paper. "It was a used needle and you just don't know what's on there.
"I picked it up and disposed of it properly, but I didn't look for any more. I just wanted to get my granddaughter off the beach."
Alun Cairns, MP for the Vale of Glamorgan, said that the incident was just the latest in a series of anti-social behaviour problems in the area.
He has called on the Vale of Glamorgan council and the police to take a hard line on those who behave badly at the private-owned beach.
He said that litter, dog fouling and youths congregating in the car park after dark were posing a regular problem.
A spokesman from the Vale council told the paper that they were 'concerned' the needle had been found and advised the public to contact them immediately if they found any other 'inappropriately discharged syringes or any other drug-related equipment'.