ENTERTAINMENT

Gary Barlow Apologises To Fans Over Tax Avoidance Scheme Claims, Says He Is 'Working To Settle Things'

03/09/2014 07:49 BST | Updated 03/09/2014 07:59 BST

Gary Barlow has taken to Twitter to apologise for allegedly investing in a tax avoidance scheme that led to calls for him to be stripped of his OBE.

The singer said he was 'working to settle things' after he and his Take That bandmates Howard Donald and Mark Owen were accused of hiding millions of pounds from the taxman last year.

gary barlow

Gary Barlow

The trio and the band’s manager all reportedly invested in a £66 million Icebreaker Management partnership, which was billed as a music-industry investment scheme.

However, a court ruling in May decided that the partnership was actually a tax avoidance scheme for the ‘ultra-rich’.

The 43-year-old tweeted fans on Tuesday with the message: “I want to apologise to anyone offended by the tax stories.

“With new accountants we are working to settle things with all parties ASAP.”

Lawyers for Gary, Howard and Mark confirmed they were involved in the partnerships but insisted the trio believed they were “legitimate enterprises”.

MPs called for Gary to hand back his OBE after the claims to light.

Gary Barlow - Fat To Fit

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER