These Christmas tree pizzas are fun to make with the children and a lovely addition to the festive party table.
Making your own pizzas does not have to be a performance if you use a packet of bread mix to make your base. I'm a big believer in corner cutting and this gives you a gloriously home made look and feel minus the hassle.
There are so many different bread mixes to choose from in the supermarket, white, wholemeal, seeded, sun-dried tomato... you can totally customise your pizza to your own tastes.
Christmas tree pizzas
Makes approx 12
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp sugar
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 500g packet of bread mix
handful grated mozzarella
2 peppers, one red one yellow
1. Sweat the onion and carrot in a pan with the olive oil for 5 minutes until soft. Season, add the dried sage and then tip in both tins of tomatoes and bubble on a medium heat for 15 minutes.
2. Allow to cool and then blitz to a smooth paste with a blender.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Make up the dough according to the packet instructions. Roll out to cover a floured baking tray 36cm x 28cm.
4. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the dough has become firm.
5. Meanwhile steam the spinach until wilted, squeeze out all the liquid and set aside.
6. Make your tree decorations by cutting star shapes out of the yellow pepper. Then chop tiny jewels out of both the yellow and red peppers.
7. Take the pizza base out of the oven and then spread evenly with the tomato sauce.
8. Decorate evenly with wilted spinach and scatter with mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
9. Allow to cool slightly then slide off the baking sheet onto a cutting board. Using a pizza cutter cut into triangles. Add your pepper tree decorations and serve.
Tip: If you have any leftover tomato sauce, simply store in a suitable container in the fridge or freezer and use with pasta.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more