By Katie Bryson
A lovely simple spiced cookie recipe ideal for kids to bake and decorate with snowman faces wearing marshmallow wooly hats.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling
Cook Time:15 minutesMakes: 12
For the cookies
85g butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp cinnamon extract
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
250g plain flour
Ready rolled white fondant icing
Orange fondant icing
Black writing icing
1. For the cookies: cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy then gradually stir in the egg until well combined.
2. Sieve the spices, baking powder, salt and flour into the bowl and then gradually mix until a dough forms.
3. Bring the dough together with your hands and form into a disc and chill for one hour wrapped in cling film.
4. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cover your work surface with a large sheet of cling film, and roll out the disc of chilled dough until very thin - about 5mm.
5. Using a 8cm diameter round cutter, cut out your cookie shapes and using a palette knife transfer them onto the lined baking sheets. Bake approx 10-12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool on the sheet slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To decorate: Unwrap the white fondant icing and stamp out identical sized discs using the same cutter you used for the cookies.
7. Mix the icing sugar with a little water to form a paste, dot onto each cookie before placing the disc of icing on top and pressing down.
8. Form a hat out of mini marshmallows, using your icing sugar paste as glue again to stick them down. Brush the marshmallows with a little of the paste and dust with edible glitter.
9. Take small pieces of the orange fondant icing to roll out carrot shaped noses and stick on to the face in the same way.
10. Complete the face with a couple of eyes and a mouth using the black writing icing.
Cook's tip: This cookie dough keeps really well, wrap any surplus tightly in cling film and freeze to use another day.