Royal Ascot has become a fashion show in its own right so if you're planning on attending this June, listen up. The racecourse has released a new style guide for 2015.
The first thing to note is the rules differ according to the type of ticket you buy. For example, fascinators are allowed unless you're mingling in the Royal Enclosure, where you'll be required to wear a headpiece with a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more.
Here are a few other points to note when planning your Ladies' Day look for the Royal Enclosure or Grandstand this year:
- A hat, headpiece or fascinator should be worn at all times in the Grandstand. Fascinators are not permitted in the Royal Enclosure, though a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
- Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck and spaghetti straps are not permitted.
- Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour.
- Midriffs must be covered.
- Shorts are not permitted.
Things are a little less restricted for Silver Ring ticket holders, who are encouraged to wear smart clothes. "No formal dress code applies in the Silver Ring except that replica sports shirts are not permitted," the style guide states.
"Fancy dress, novelty and branded / promotional clothing are not allowed on site."
Here's a reminder of some of the weird and wonderful looks Ascot racegoers were seen wearing in 2014: