UK

Tube Strike July 2015: TfL Ready For Talks To Avert Underground Shutdown

07/07/2015 11:34 BST | Updated 07/07/2015 15:59 BST

• TfL says it is available all day to negotiate

• Aslef says the strike will 'definitely go ahead'

• London Underground workers strike dispute over Night Tube

• Up to 20,000 staff to walk out on Wednesday afternoon

• Strike to cause problems for Wimbledon spectators

FGW strike to affect Ashes Test cricket fans travelling to Cardiff

UPDATE: When, Why And What Time: Everything You Need To Know About The Tube Strike

TfL officials say they are available all day for talks in a bid to avoid a looming strike which threatens to bring the capital to a standstill.

The strike, which could see a walk-out by almost 20,000 workers, is scheduled to begin on Wednesday evening and is part of a dispute over the new all-night service which is set to operate across the capital from September.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT), Aslef, Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) and Unite are unhappy over pay being offered for the new service, as well as rosters.

tube strike

The strike could bring the London Underground network to a standstill

But on Tuesday a spokesman for Tfl told Huffington Post UK: “We are available for talks at Acas all day,” adding negotiators had been at work until 10pm on Monday night.

He conceded that senior officials will be taking part in 7/7 anniversary events, but stressed TfL, which runs the London Underground, was open to further dialogue.

SEE ALSO:

Steve Griffiths, London Underground’s Chief Operating Officer, said: “Londoners and businesses overwhelmingly back the Night Tube. It will make life better for everyone, cut journey times, create jobs and boost the economy.

“Many of our staff will not be affected by the new services as we are operating Friday and Saturday night services on five lines. We are also hiring 137 more train operators specifically to work on the Night Tube. For those who are affected, it will mean a few extra nights per year within the existing working week.

“No-one is being asked to work more hours than they do now. In return, we have offered a very fair and competitive package of an average 2% increase this year, a pay increase of RPI or 1%, whichever is greater, in 2016 and 2017, a £500 launch bonus to all staff on the Night Tube lines and stations and a £2,000 transition bonus for train operators.

“We received no response to this from the union leaderships."

Talks were held at the conciliation service Acas last week without any sign of progress and both sides met again on Monday. By 3.30pm a spokesman for Aslef said the strike will "definitely go ahead" because unions have not been given enough time to study a new pay offer.

If all four unions walk out, there will be no Tube service from late afternoon on Wednesday 8 July and none at all on Thursday 9 July.

Finn Brennan, a senior negotiator for Aslef, told the Evening Standard workers had not been given long enough to study yesterday's deal.

He said: "This is playground negotiating. Having made no offer for three months, they give four unions one afternoon to consider a new offer."

Meanwhile The RMT described the offer as "divisive and unacceptable", indicating members would reject it.

General Secretary Mick Cash said: "The deal as it stands is financed off the back of the proposed axing of over 800 safety-critical station jobs and is deliberately constructed to play individuals off against each other in the most cynical fashion."

London Underground Maps