ENTERTAINMENT

'X Factor' Contestant Monica Michael Admits 'Relief' At Leaving Series: 'I Wanted To Sing My Own Original Songs'

17/11/2015 08:56 GMT | Updated 17/11/2015 08:59 GMT

Aspiring singer Monica Michael has admitted she feels relieved to have been eliminated from ‘The X Factor’ over the weekend.

READ MORE:

Monica says that, after auditioning last year with an original song, and then performing another at this year’s Judges’ Houses, she’d hoped to be able to use the platform of the live shows to show off her own material.

However, this ultimately proved not to be the case, and instead she was given covers of songs by artists like Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran to perform instead.

monica

Monica Michael

Speaking to The Sun, Monica says: “I am relieved because I came into X Factor last year singing an original and that’s what everyone really liked about me.

“This year, again when I sang another original, it was the same reaction and I’ve got so many originals.”

She even admits that she asked to perform another original song during live shows, but was turned down, adding: “I was like, ‘Can I sing an original? Can I sing an original?’ and having to do a cover was really out of my comfort zone.

“I felt so uncomfortable doing that. Obviously it’s the name of the game and it’s an amazing platform so I just had to go along with it but I am relieved.”

Following her elimination, Monica also leapt to the defence of Olly Murs, who made an unfortunate blunder during the results show, prematurely announcing Monica’s name.

She said on Monday: “I actually felt really sorry for him, because he didn’t mean to do it, and he kept saying, ‘sorry, I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry’.”

Seven contestants remain in this year’s ‘X Factor’, which continues on Saturday (21 November) night, on ITV.

'X Factor': Greatest Ever Performances

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER