The weather files show my doldrum crossing point should be less painful than the others, but I have heard that one before and we will have to wait and see. I will be in the doldrums in two days from now and then back to going upwind again. I have started monitoring the long term forecast to see how I am going to tackle the Azores High, no decisions will be made until I am out of the doldrums but it is good to get a feeling for what is happening.
Yesterday was supremely frustrating, an encouraging morning followed by big squalls in the afternoon which were full of more calm areas than much wind. I had a fairly steady wind overnight and today has been encouraging so far. In 100 miles or so I won't have to worry about the coast of Brazil, and the wind should start to move more to the south east and hopefully I can ease the sails and go a little faster. I want to stay a good way off the coast for now to make sure I do not get any disruption in the wind caused by the land effect.
Really hot and humid inside the boat today but better than the freezing conditions at home!
Follow Alex Thomson on Twitter: www.twitter.com/AlexThomson99