PARENTS

Toddler Bitten By Adder In Wales Is Hospitalised For Five Days

'He was going floppy in her arms like he wanted to go to sleep.'

03/06/2016 11:35

A three-year-old was rushed to hospital after being bitted by an adder while walking his dogs.

Mason Jenkins, from north Wales, was with his dad Mefyn Jenkins, 39, in a field near Rhosneigr, Anglesey.

The dad said his son ran ahead of him, but ran back shortly after, with a "scratch" on his foot, to say he'd seen a snake. 

"My partner Tamsey was holding Mason and he was going floppy in her arms like he wanted to go to sleep," the dad told The Daily Post

"We called 999 and when the paramedic arrived Mason’s tongue was swollen and his heart was racing, so he called for a back up ambulance."

Manchester Evening News
Mason Jenkins in hospital after being bitten

Jenkins said his son was crying and complaining that he felt sick because his stomach was hurting. 

The dad said his son's lips also began to turn pale while on the way to Ysbyty Gwynedd hospital. 

Mason was put on a drip and heart monitor. He spent five days in hospital and had two doses of anti-venom before he was able to be discharged. 

"Seeing him on the drip and monitor was heartbreaking as he is so young but he was a very brave little boy, his mum stayed by his side the whole time," added Jenkins. 

According to the Mirror, the North Wales Wildlife Trust is warning that people need to take care when walking through long grass or sand dunes, as the heat makes them more likely to emerge.

They said there could be a surge in the number of snake bites because of the current warm weather spell.

Linda Dykes from Ysbyty Gwynedd’s Emergency Department told Wales Online: "It’s usually the case that kids accidentally stand on them or people try to pick them up.

“Adders will never attack, but they will defend themselves.

“My advice would be to keep out of sand dunes, stay away from high-risk areas and don’t touch them.”

According to the Forestry Commission, the adder is the only venomous snake native to Britain.

"No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years," the website states.

"With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite.

"Most people who are bitten were handling the snake. Treat adders with respect and leave them alone."

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS