NEWS

#BringBackOurGirls: It's Been Two Years Since 276 Nigerian Schoolgirls Were Abducted By Boko Haram

And most of them are still missing

13/04/2016 10:52 | Updated 13 April 2016

Two years ago, nearly 300 schoolgirls were abducted by terrorist group Boko Haram. Almost all of them are still missing.

The Nigerian teenagers were taken from their school in Chibok on April 14, 2014.

Since then, 57 have escaped. Nobody knows where the rest are, but reports speculate they have been sold into slavery, forced into marriage or given as "prizes" to other terrorists.

More recently, the United Nations said they were being drugged and used as suicide bombers.

The UN's child agency believes one in five suicide attacks by Boko Haram are now done by children. Three quarters of the children used in such attacks are girls, says Unicef. 

Despite the lengthy, high-profile #BringBackOurGirls campaign, 219 of them have yet to return home.

"Urgent action is needed, not only to protect the innocent. We need to prosecute the terrorists," Paul Coleman of the ADF International charity told HuffPost UK. "The human rights organisation is urging the International Criminal Court to finally hold members of Boko Haram to account."

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS