NEWS

Camber Sands Search For Missing Swimmer Called Off After Woman Contacts Coastguard

Woman last seen entering the water at 8am.

28/08/2016 12:09 | Updated 28 August 2016

A search for a woman thought to be missing in the sea at Camber Sands just days after five men died there, has been called off after she came forward to the coastguard.

Emergency rescue crews began a major operation just after 9am but later said the alert was a false alarm.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the swimmer had been identified and was safe and well, the BBC reported. 

The emergency was sparked after a member of the public reported seeing a woman going into the sea at the East Sussex beach 8am and not coming back out.

Sussex Police said the person who raised the alarm had seen an abandoned pair of flip flops next to the sea and a woman diving into the water at the location.

A spokeswoman for the force told the BBC: “Officers are at the scene doing coastal checks to see if any person swimming there is having difficulties.”

Jack Taylor via Getty Images
A search is underway at Camber Sands for a missing woman days after five men died at the East Sussex beach; police are pictured above at the beach following Wednesday's tragedy 

The coastguard helicopter and the Rye and Dungeness rescue team are reportedly at the scene. 

The rescue comes after Inthushan Sri, 23, Nitharsan Ravi, 22, Kurushanth Srithavarajah, 26, and brothers Kobi Nathan, 21, and Ken, 19, died at the beach on Wednesday.

Following the tragedy, council officials announced that lifeguards would be deployed at the beach this bank holiday weekend in a temporary service designed to  “reassure the public and advise on safety”.

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS