How many Essex girls does it take to sign an online petition?
More than 5,000 women have now given their support to a campaign that wants to get the term ‘Essex girl’ removed from the Oxford English Dictionary.
The official definition, synonymous with 1990s ladette culture, states: “A type of young woman, supposedly to be found in and around Essex, and variously characterised as unintelligent, promiscuous, and materialistic.”
Now Essex girls are taking to Twitter to illustrate just how outdated (and frankly downright rude) the term is.
1. We’re not unintelligent.
2. Our birthplace hasn’t stopped us succeeding just yet.
3. Honestly, don’t worry about us, we’ve got a few brain cells to share around.
4. We’re not too bad at other things either.
5. We’ve got some minor achievements under our belt.
6. But it can be hard being this materialistic when we are trying to make the world a better place.
7. And wasting all our time sleeping around.
8. In fact, let’s remember it’s not only Essex women dealt that card.
9. So maybe we aren’t the stupid ones after all?
10. Just going to leave this here.
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more