‘Gavin And Stacey’ is unequivocally one of the best sitcoms of our time, but if we’re being honest, the lead characters were kind of, well, dull.
Nothing against G&S, but they were never really the ones everyone got behind, with the relationship between Smithy and Nessa being the one that really captured the public’s imagination.
But while everyone was busy rooting for the mismatched couple, they were ignoring the genius of one of the other characters - a certain Pamela Shipman.
Here’s 24 times Alison Steadman’s fabulous Essex matriarch was the real star of the show:
1. She was part-time housewife, full-time luxury bitch
2. She was all of us after a few drinks
3. She was never one to mince her words
4. She always had pride in her family...
5. ...Although sometimes it was misplaced
6. She thought the same thing we all did about Stacey
7. And was always grateful when she got her ‘little prince’ to herself
8. We don’t know how she put up with living with her for so long, tbh
9. Nothing was going to get in the way of her Christmas dinner - not even her ‘vegetarianism’
10. Because we all knew how much she loved a steak (or three)
11. She always wore the trousers in her marriage to Mick
12. And always made sure he knew that
13. Her fascination with Charles and Camilla was equally baffling and hilarious
14. And that even transcended into the bedroom
15. See below...
16. Woe betide if someone was to mention Charles’ first wife
17. She knew how to fill an awkward silence
18. Her talents were not just restricted to dancing, you know
19. Sadly, they didn’t stretch to being good at I Spy
20. She was as good mates with her son’s best friend as he was
21. She was always the hostess with the mostess
22. Even if she wasn’t always keen on welcoming guests
23. She knew how to calm down a stressful situation
24. She finally solved the mystery of why some people send Christmas cards in November
Relive more iconic sitcom moments in the gallery below...
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more