Zakaria Bulhan, 19, has been charged with the murder of US tourist Darlene Horton and the attempted murder of five other people who were attacked with a knife in Russell Square on Wednesday night, Scotland Yard has said.
The stabbings began at around 10.30pm and a total of six people were stabbed.
Horton and her husband Richard Wagner were in London for a summer course and were due to return to the US the day after the fatal attack.
Florida State University, where Wagner is a psychology scholar, issued a statement saying: “There are no words to express our heartache over this terrible tragedy.”
The five injured people were:
- A British man, who suffered a stab wound to his stomach
- An American man, who suffered a stab wound to his chest.
- An Australian woman, who suffered a stab wound to her back.
- An Australian woman, who suffered a stab wound to her chest.
- An Israeli woman, who suffered a stab wound to her bicep.
Bulhan will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more