Zakaria Bulhan, 19, has been charged with the murder of US tourist Darlene Horton and the attempted murder of five other people who were attacked with a knife in Russell Square on Wednesday night, Scotland Yard has said.
The stabbings began at around 10.30pm and a total of six people were stabbed.
Horton and her husband Richard Wagner were in London for a summer course and were due to return to the US the day after the fatal attack.
Florida State University, where Wagner is a psychology scholar, issued a statement saying: “There are no words to express our heartache over this terrible tragedy.”
The five injured people were:
- A British man, who suffered a stab wound to his stomach
- An American man, who suffered a stab wound to his chest.
- An Australian woman, who suffered a stab wound to her back.
- An Australian woman, who suffered a stab wound to her chest.
- An Israeli woman, who suffered a stab wound to her bicep.
Bulhan will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.