'X Factor' 2016: Simon Cowell And Dermot O'Leary Could Miss First Auditions Due To Illness

Try-outs are due to kick off in Leicester on Friday.

09/06/2016 08:42 | Updated 09 June 2016

Auditions for the new series of 'The X Factor' are at risk of being plunged into chaos, over fears Simon Cowell and Dermot O'Leary may miss the first set of try-outs. 

The pair have both fallen ill ahead of the start of filming in Leicester on Friday (10 June). 

Frederick M. Brown via Getty Images
Simon Cowell has fallen ill ahead of 'X Factor' auditions

The Sun has reported it is "touch and go" as to whether they will both make the first auditions, after Dermot was struck down with a severe bout of flu, and Simon struggles to recover from the flu. 

Dermot - who was reinstated as 'X Factor' host earlier this year, after being replaced by Caroline Flack and Olly Murs in 2015 - even pulled out of an appearance at the Glamour Awards earlier this week due to his illness, leaving wife Dee Kopang-O'Leary to attend alone. 

Simon was also absent from his own charity ball for Together For Short Lives last week, leaving girlfriend Lauren Silverman to entertain guests. 

Matt Crossick/Matt Crossick
Dermot O'Leary is battling a severe bout of food poisoning

A source told the paper: “Dermot is a regular guest at the Glamour Awards so his absence proved how ill he is.

“He was supposed to be at the auditions but it’s touch and go whether he will be well enough.”

They added: “Simon is hopeful he can make it but is under the weather this week. He’s resting up.”

However, an 'X Factor' source told HuffPost UK: "Both Simon and Dermot have been unwell but we don’t expect any issues on the first day of auditions."

'X Factor' auditions were postponed last year, following the death of Simon's mother, Julie.

He is set to return to the panel for the 13th series of the ITV talent show, alongside former judges Nicole Scherzinger, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh.

The trio have replaced Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Nick Grimshaw and Rita Ora, who all quit after last year's lacklustre run. 

'The X Factor' returns to ITV in the autumn.

X Factor: 11 Reasons We're Glad Sharon Osbourne's Back

Also on HuffPost

Suggest a correction