The excitement of a new maternity wardrobe quickly fades and before the end of your pregnancy you long to get back into your pre-preggo clothes. Usually by month 7 the count down has well and truly begun and parenting books are replaced with glossy fashion mags to help you plan for the exciting new mummy style that lies ahead. Well it's time to get real. Absolutely nothing about that vision in your head is even remotely practical and right now, practicality trumps style. Here are the wardrobe fails we have all made...
1. Embrace the Mum-Bod - learn to love your new shape because it's going nowhere fast. Of course there are the rare few that will bounce straight back into their size 8 skinnies but for the rest of us mere mortals, it's best not to get too hung up on our new slightly wider shape, it will make shopping way too depressing...
2. Pastels and greys are the worst at showing stains. A baby is always sick when you don't have a muslin to hand and your boobs are guaranteed to leak when you forget to wear your breast pads. Best to stick to bold prints that work marvelously at hiding the stains!
3. You can forget the effortless maxi dress if you're breastfeeding. There is nothing easier than slinging on your favourite summer dress on a hot day to make you look and feel instantly fresh. However, when you are breast-feeding, the dress is a no-go. You need to find a skirt. And a top. And pray that they go. And that they are clean (although this is just a bonus).
4. The accessory that used to make an outfit is now nothing but added fashion stress. That long statement necklace is now a weapon for a small child to strangle you with and that lightweight scarf gets you hot and flustered and gives you instant rage as soon as it gets in the way.
5. The mum bum. A less hairy version of the builders bum. Your new lifestyle means you are always sitting on the floor and bending over, you've probably never even considered the risk of exposing the mum bum. But trust me, for 9 out of 10 of us it is very real. Wear a belt. Or at least a nicer pair of knickers.
6. Even summer wedges are a stretch. A pair of summer heels will instantly take you from drab to fab and raise the bar for the most glamorous mum awards, but let's face it - they aren't as comfy as flip flops are they?
7. Wearing your bed bra in the day and thinking no one will notice. They do. Your boobs aren't supposed to be there, they are supposed to be at least 10 inches higher. Yes they feel wonderful and so unrestrictive but trust me, you aren't doing your boobs any favours by giving them no support!
Can you relate!?
If you liked this post, please check out my other blog over at Scarlett and Me.